Wednesday 6 June 2012

Tea Shoppe

Welcome!

     Fancy a cuppa?

     Today I bring you a couple of creations made with the new Tea Shoppe stamp set. This was honestly not at all one of my favourites at first, but it has gradually grown on me. It features a fantastic "Just for You", a dotted border for the Modern Label punch, and much more!
    This cute little box was inspired by Michelle Last's little treat box I recieved several months ago. It is so simple yet so effective, just a piece of card 8" x 4", scored at 4" in the middle (creating two sections 4" x 4"), then a score line pulled from halfway down the edge (@ 2") to the top of the centre score line, and the same done toward the bottom of the centre score line. Simply fold along the lines, punch holes at the top and thread a ribbon through to tie it shut! Hopefully by the shadow in the picture you can tell that it is a 3D treat box, which may help you to imagine what I was trying to explain.

     The sentiment "Just for You" and the dotted frame came from the Tea Shoppe set. Also used were the Woodgrain stamp, Bird punch, Scallop Circle punch, Modern Label Punch, smallest circle punch from Itty Bitty Shapes punch pack, Chocolate Chip, Night of Navy and Real Red inks, Crumb Cake, Very Vanilla, Garden Green and Real Red cardstock, Color Spritzer tool, mini silver brads, and some Victoria Crocheted trim.

Here is what you will get in the Tea Shoppe stamp set:

     Whenever browsing stamp sets, always think of them in pieces rather than one whole stamp. With the helpful invention of Stampin' Write Markers, You can colour your stamps in any combination of ways. You can use just parts of the stamp, you can make it multicoloured, the possibilities are endless! For example, instead of using the stamp with the three little cups which comes as one piece, I stamped each one in a different colour and cut them out and stacked them up. While I would love to claim it was my idea, it was actually a CASEd (CASE = Copy And Share Everything) idea from a very talented lady. Her name is Amanda Burditt, and it wasn't until I saw a card she made with the teacups in bright colours that I actually wanted to give this set a closer look!

     For this card I used the Tea Shoppe stamp set, Patterns Designer Series Paper (getting started pack), Marina Mist and Whisper White cardstock, Regal Rose, Rich Razzleberry, Marina Mist, and Sahara Sand ink, VersaMark, white embossing powder, Pearls, a Big Shot, Swirls and Scribbles die, Framelits, Edgelits, and Adorning Accents embossing folders.

    I have been recently playing with the new Framelits and Edgelits dies for the Big Shot, but this is the first time I've got to use the new embossing folders that coordinate with the Edgelits dies. Since they are designed in the US, and standard US cards are about 1cm smaller than ours, the embossing folders don't quite stretch across the entire length of our cards. To counteract this, I strategically placed the Framelit cutout just over the embossed scallops so I could snip in between two scallops and just spread them apart to reach the ends of my card.

     The Edgelits dies, however, are just long enough to cut the length of an A5 sized card, so no issues there. If you've never seen them, they are just long pieces of some kind of metal, flat on one side and with a sharpish ridge on the other side. Two come in the package, with an envelope to store them as they would easily get lost without it. You can ensure they stay put with just a sticky note, and with the help of the Big Shot (my love!) they instantly give you a fancy edge to your card. Check out the Summer Mini catalogue on the left-hand side of this page for some more examples!

     I did have a lot of fun playing with this set, and after telling myself for ages I didn't even like it, I now can't wait to play with it again! I have seen it used by some talented fellow demonstrators in small cards that contain a wrapped teabag inside, which I can't wait to try myself! "A CUP OF THANKS"  is a perfect sentiment for it, very clever.

     What do you think? Does this set suit you "to a tea"? Which stamp is your favourite? How would you use it/like to see it used? I'd love to hear from you!

Thanks for reading, don't let your tea go cold (as my husband is constantly telling me!), and Happy Crafting.



5 comments:

  1. I know you can cut paper, but i could envision an apron with the stacked cups; could fabric be cut with this?
    or maybe, better yet, take a photo copy of your stacked cup cut out and make it into an enlarged iron-on color transfer that can then be an applique for the apron. Then it would match exactly the note cards, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can see the apron made in striped pink ticking and light weight denim.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, the Big Shot CAN cut fabric! Many people use it for creating appliqués.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kirsten - would you mind if I please copy your ideas in this blog for my first class / workshop at my house in Oxford later this month?

    thanks ;--))

    Anel Laurens

    ReplyDelete
  5. By all means go ahead... I'd be interested to see what you do and I'd like to hear how it goes! I'm sure the Pinkies would like to see too, maybe share it on our page for the easiest option?
    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete